Re: [RFC] Vectorization of indexed elements

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, Vidya Praveen wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 02:19:32PM +0100, Richard Biener wrote:

> > > Sorry, that was a bad question.
> > >
> > > But here's what I would like to propose as a first step. Please tell me if this
> > > is acceptable or if it makes sense:
> > >
> > > - Introduce standard pattern names
> > >
> > > "vmulim4" - vector muliply with second operand as indexed operand
> > >
> > > Example:
> > >
> > > (define_insn "vmuliv4si4"
> > >    [set (match_operand:V4SI 0 "register_operand")
> > >         (mul:V4SI (match_operand:V4SI 1 "register_operand")
> > >                   (vec_duplicate:V4SI
> > >                     (vec_select:SI
> > >                       (match_operand:V4SI 2 "register_operand")
> > >                       (match_operand:V4SI 3 "immediate_operand)))))]
> > > )
> >
> > We could factor this with providing a standard pattern name for
> >
> > (define_insn "vdupi<mode>"
> >   [set (match_operand:<mode> 0 "register_operand")
> >        (vec_duplicate:<mode>
> >           (vec_select:<scalarmode>
> >              (match_operand:<mode> 1 "register_operand")
> >              (match_operand:SI 2 "immediate_operand))))]
>
> This is good. I did think about this but then I thought of avoiding the need
> for combiner patterns :-)
>
> But do you find the lane specific mov pattern I proposed, acceptable?

The specific mul pattern?  As said, consider factoring to vdupi to
avoid an explosion in required special optabs.

> > (you use V4SI for the immediate?
>
> Sorry typo again!! It should've been SI.
>
> > Ideally vdupi has another custom
> > mode for the vector index).
> >
> > Note that this factored pattern is already available as vec_perm_const!
> > It is simply (vec_perm_const:V4SI <source> <source> <immediate-selector>).
> >
> > Which means that on the GIMPLE level we should try to combine
> >
> > el_4 = BIT_FIELD_REF <v_3, ...>;
> > v_5 = { el_4, el_4, ... };
>
> I don't think we reach this state at all for the scenarios in discussion.
> what we generally have is:
>
>  el_4 = MEM_REF < array + index*size >
>  v_5 = { el_4, ... }
>
> Or am I missing something?

Well, but in that case I doubt it is profitable (or even valid!) to
turn this into a vector lane load from the array.  If it is profitable
to perform a vector read (because we're going to use the other elements
of the vector as well) then the vectorizer should produce a vector
load and materialize the uniform vector from one of its elements.

Maybe at this point you should show us a compilable C testcase
with a loop that should be vectorized using your instructions in
the end?

Thanks,
Richard.