What does the RTX_FLAG volitil mean?

In poking about the guts of gcc I noticed that the RTX_FLAG volitil seems to
be set for some strange reasons... For instance. it's set for registers that
receive the value of a parameter register in addition to being set for
registers that were declared volatile in the C code. Note, this is not an
academic because I really need to figure out which registers were declared
as volatile...