Re: [RFC] gcc feature request: Moving blocks into sections

* Steven Rostedt (rostedt@goodmis.org) wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-08-07 at 07:06 +0200, OndÅej BÃlka wrote:
>
> > Add short_counter,long_counter and before increment counter before each
> > jump. That way we will know how many short/long jumps were taken.
>
> That's not trivial at all. The jump is a single location (in an asm
> goto() statement) that happens to be inlined through out the kernel. The
> assembler decides if it will be a short or long jump. How do you add a
> counter to count the difference?

You might want to try creating a global array of counters (accessible
both from C for printout and assembly for update).

Index the array from assembly using:   (2f - 1f)

1:
        jmp ...;
2:

And put an atomic increment of the counter. This increment instruction
should be located prior to the jmp for obvious reasons.

You'll end up with the sums you're looking for at indexes 2 and 5 of the
array.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--