note generating in case of type confliction

Hello,

I'm mostly new to gcc, so I don't really have a real idea how notes are generated. More exactly I would like to know, how types are compared during compilation, and what makes the compiler decide to throw a message in case they aren't equal. There is this message "note: expected `type` but argument is type of `type`". Now I'm searching the gcc-4.4.5 source library for that particular message, in hopes of getting a direction towards what i causes this message to appear. But I'm lost now, and need some help - a direction or a hint, where to lookup (source,headers,binaries) , would be very appreciated.

Many thanks!
Alex