Re: GCC talks at the GNU Hackers Meeting?

On 24 June 2013 17:02, Luca Saiu <positron@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hello Iain.  I'm adding ghm-discuss in Cc.  I think we shouldn't follow
> up on gcc@ any more at this point.  Let's not bother the hardworking
> compiler masters :-).
>
> On 2013-06-24 at 01:15, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>
>> I did a similar such talk at DConf 2013 with my GCC front-end for the
>> D programming language (GDC).  Not sure if would be relevant a GCC
>> conference, but I could think about some of the challenges I've faced.
>> :o)
>
> I for one would be very interested.
>
> Well, the conference is about GNU in general, so many people will not be
> particularly familiar with GCC internals.  I, for example, have some
> knowledge about the general architecture but don't actually know the
> API, and have never attempted any non-trivial modification to the GCC
> source base.  Some people will be more familiar than me, others even
> less; but I don't think that it's a serious problem if a few talks are
> less accessible than others.  I like Einstein's phrase "as simple as
> possible, but not simpler".  If needed we can make a GCC session or an
> "advanced" session, and schedule all such talks close together for the
> public's sake.
>
> Your talk could follow Philip's, I suppose, since if I understood
> correctly Philips wanted to talk about frontends in general, and you
> more specifically about the frontend of D.  What do you think, Philip?
> We can certainly have both talks, but I think it would be better if we
> tried not to say the same things twice.

My talk at Dconf2013 can be bulleted into the following:

- What is GDC?
- A brief history of porting the D language to GCC.
- D language and library support, including current challenges being faced.
- Introduction to GCC, in particular an overview of the compilation
process from GENERIC down to RTL and how things tie in with the D
front end.
- Taking advantage of the GCC backend.  What features of GCC are
leveraged by the D front end (eg: builtin functions, extended
assembler)
- Future goals and architecture support.

>> In any case, I would be interested in attending this - just to get a
>> better feel of the community, as a definite future goal would be to
>> get the D front-end merged into GCC proper as an officially supported
>> language.
>
> Of course, welcome.  I've registered you and added your talk to the
> web page.  Please register to ghm-discuss at
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/ghm-discuss .

Have registered myself.  I'll have to confirm my availability.

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';