Re: If you had a month to improve gcc build parallelization, where would you begin?

On 04/03/2013 05:39 PM, Jeff Law wrote:
On 04/03/2013 09:27 AM, Simon Baldwin wrote:
Suppose you had a month in which to reorganise gcc so that it builds
its 3-stage bootstrap and runtime libraries in some massively parallel
fashion, without hardware or resource constraints(*).  How might you
approach this?

I'm looking for ideas on improving the build time of gcc itself.  So
far I have identified two problem areas:
One of the things I've noticed is multilib library targets don't build in
parallel.

I noticed this mostly in libjava, but it applies to others that use the
automake generated bits.  Basically the i686 version of the library won't start
building until the x86_64 version has completed due to Makefile lameness.

Building multilibs in parallel would be nice boost for cross-compiler builds.

--
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09