Re: gcc : c++11 : full support : eta?

Toon Moene wrote, On Friday 25 January 2013 02:31 AM:
On 01/23/2013 08:43 PM, Richard Biener wrote:

Ah, well - the old issue that LLVM has just become a very good
marketing machinery
(and we've stayed at being a compiler - heh).

The problem of being on a compiler-only list is that this is becoming a self-evident truth.

However, as a meteorologist, I know better (HAH :-))

WRF (http://www.wrf-model.org/index.php) is our eternal Nemesis. It's a free weather forecasting model and data assimilation system developed by the best US academic institutions.

"WRF has a rapidly growing community of users, and workshops and tutorials are held each year at NCAR. WRF is currently in operational use at NCEP, AFWA and other centers."

So it is hopeless to fight it. It is free (our European-community-developed model is not) and it has a *huge* backing from the US academic community.

Unfortunately for this virtual reality, it doesn't match the real one. We do still exist, and there is no indication (on the basis of meteorological verification) that we will be dethroned shortly.

And yes, we understand why academia is mad with WRF - we *do* understand why they like to have their students play with it (it is much *easier*) - that doesn't mean that a focused course can't make students resident at KNMI (the Dutch Meteorological Institute) familiar enough with *our* weather model to work on it.

Exactly. We have been using our training program since 2007 (and have been incrementally refining it on a continuously). Our experience has been that it has brought down the ramp up period of novices to a couple of week. Personally, when our group started getting into GCC, it took us far longer (also because it could only be driven through students) and hence we decided the change the our focus from putting our research into GCC to doing R&D in explaining GCC better.

I am convinced that if we agree on ONE courseware and all of us review it and help me improve it, we can make it easy for students and academia --- and perhaps easier than using LLVM.

As I said before, all other additional material stays, but we need to have a well identified starting point which continuously evolves as GCC evolves.

Uday.