Re: gcc : c++11 : full support : eta?

On 23/01/13 19:43, Richard Biener wrote:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Alec Teal <a.teal@warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
On 23/01/13 19:16, Uday Khedker wrote:

On Thursday 24 January 2013 12:39 AM, Diego Novillo wrote:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Uday Khedker <uday@cse.iitb.ac.in>
wrote:

I would like to take this training program to the next level but so long
it remains my personal baby, my funding agency does not feel that I have
accomplished much because they feel that if my program has any merit,
the GCC community would adopt it :-(

I would say they have it backwards. The GCC community is the last one who'd adopt such a training program. We already know the content!

This kind of training is precisely targeted at newcomers.

Yes, absolutely. And GCC community should consider it important to bring in newcomers particularly young students and experimenters from the academia.

Why is it that most student projects these days are on LLVM and not on
GCC? Had these students been doing projects on GCC, some of them may turn
contributors in future.

Uday.

I really have a theory here, I think (like me! I came here in the hope of
'fixing' GCC from what I thought it was to what it is because I, suppose I
am loyal, I don't really like BSD, the lack of obligation to keep things
free, anyway that'll start a dispute probably so don't worry) it's all the
bad press, my impression was GCC is really old and archaic, not very good
for developing new optimisations, had a crap IR and there was this newcomer
that only made these problems known because it fixes them.

I know now that most of them were wrong BTW!
Ah, well - the old issue that LLVM has just become a very good
marketing machinery
(and we've stayed at being a compiler - heh).

Richard.

You see my point though right?
Alec