Re: RFC - Remove support for PCH post 4.8

On 11/28/2012 02:53 PM, Diego Novillo wrote:

Thanks for all the responses, folks.

The choice is clear, then.  We will not pursue the removal of PCH.
We'll attempt to re-structure PCH to use the streaming infrastructure,
to make it at least more efficient (we were observing very significant
file size gains when we tried it on the PPH branch).

Is it permissable to ask a meta-question here ?

What's so horrible about the definition of header files that something like this is necessary ?

In Fortran we have modules. Certainly, the efficient processing of these files is important. To us, that's our - internal - problem. How can it be that a wart on a C++ problem gets so much air time ?

Kind regards,

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/; weather: http://moene.org/~hirlam/