Telling plugins about build,host,target triplet strings

Hello All,

In http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2012-08/msg00339.html Ian Taylor wrote:

> In general I would support having ways for plugins to detect this sort
> of thing, perhaps simply by making the build, host, and target triplet
> strings available to the plugin in some way.

I would like to get that in 4.8, but I have no idea of how to do it.

Do you have any hints about that? I was thinking of adding perhaps in plugin.[ch] functions like

  // Give triplet like x86_64-linux-gnu for the build, host and target systems
  const char* plugin_build_triplet (void);
  const char* plugin_host_triplet (void);
  const char* plugin_target_triplet (void);

I was naively hoping the "x86_64-linux-gnu" string to appear in some generated "source"
[I mean, outside of *.o object files] file or header in the build tree,
but it does not seem to be that simple...

Cheers.