Re: C++ and gather-detailed-mem-stats

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Georg-Johann Lay <gjl@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> Gabriel Dos Reis schrieb:
>
>> Richard Guenther wrote:
>>>
>>> Hm, well.  The following includes documentation and the old new names,
>>> __builtin_file_location, etc.
>>

>> This looks good too me.
>>
>> A few points to consider:
>>     * relation of __builtin_function_location to C99 (and C++11) __func__
>>
>>     * Do we want to update libcpp to systematically expand __FILE__ to
>>       __builtin_file_location, etc?
>

> Will that work in situations like these?
>
> const char __attribute__((section (".foo"))) x[] = __FILE__;

Yes, that is what I will expect -- from semantics constraints point of view.
(In C++11 terminology, they would be constexpr objects.)

On the other hand, I do not want these points I raised for consideration
to be "blocker" for the solution to the issue Richard is facing.

It just important for us (especially the front-end guys) to minimize
the many ways of saying the same thing.

-- Gaby