Re: Character set for libstdc++ manual

On 10.06.2012 15:39, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> I had a quick look at telling docbook stylesheets to add the charset,
> or not output utf8, and couldn't see how to do it. Maybe Benjamin
> knows.

If that should prove difficult, there are at least two alternatives:

1. Server configuration: have Apache serve those files with the
HTTP-Header "Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8" by adding the
configuration directive "AddDefaultCharset utf-8" to a suitable config
file, e.g. a .htaccess file if you want this setting to be local to that
part of the directory tree.
See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#adddefaultcharset

2. Postprocessing: You can use e.g. recode to convert UTF-8 codepoints
to HTML entities by issuing "recode ..HTML <Files…>". Of course, you
could also patch in the "<meta …>" tag in such a postprocessing step.

The first approach is a bit cleaner and easier to maintain, whereas the
latter would allow even downloaded versions of those files to always
show the correct characters. I guess I still prefer the former, though.

Greetings,
 Martin