GCC 4.6.2/Red Hat Linux 6.1 thread cancellation C++ runtime issue

Hello,

I am trying to port some legacy C++ code to properly work in the face of thread cancellation. Based on information I have gleaned from searching the net, it appears that any catch(...) handlers that try to finalize the exception must be augmented to first catch abi::_forced_unwind and simply rethrow the exception for cancellation to work properly.

However.

I am running into a problem where the rethrow of abi::_forced_unwind is being treated as an unhandled exception by the runtime, thereby causing an abort to occur. So, my questions are:

1) Should what I am doing work?
2) Is there a particular way GCC must be built for the rethrow to work?
3) Is there a particular combination of GCC/GLIBC versions required for the rethrow to work?