Re: Switching to C++ by default in 4.8

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Richard Guenther
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, files are too big - but splitting them is not easy unless you can
> figure out
> a hierarchy that you can expose. ÂThe largest file is dwarf2out.c with
> 22825 lines,
> but the average is more like 2000 (just looking at gcc/*.c files).
> There are only
> 23 files bigger than 6000 lines (out of 356), so the situation is not as bad as
> you paint it. ÂBut yes, looking at filenames hardly tells you about its contents
> anymore.

Average file size is not relevant here.  You should consider how many
code are in files that are big.  In gcc/ sub-directory, there are
about 600 source files(.c and .h).  63 of them (10%) exceed 100 KB,
which contribute over 50% of the total source file size of the
directory. 75 of them(13%) is between 50 KB to 100 KB, which
contribute 25% of the  total source file size of the directory.
The rest,  440 or so of them, is below 50 KB, which contribute 75% of
the  total source file size of the directory. Some of this files are
so small that some merging is needed.

So, I can say, most of the GCC source code is in large files.

And this also hold for language front-ends.

--
Chiheng Xu