Re: RFC: -Wall by default

On 9 April 2012 18:29, Eric Botcazou wrote:
>> That would be my preferred solution -- by far. ?But, my understanding
>> is that that would provoke a riot so I am willing to compromise by
>> introducing a new warning switch (even if I dislike that thought.)
>> Hopefully, it is it is going to be the default, most people would not have
>> to learn yet another GCC switch.
>
> Why to introduce a new switch then? ?Just select a few -W switches and enable
> them by default, keeping in mind that -w will disable them in any cases.

-w prevents any warnings being printed at all, it couldn't be used to
turn off -Wstandard then selectively re-enable individual options,
e.g. with -Wno-standard -Wmain

Introducing a new switch would mean there's a single -Wno-standard
switch for those who want to restore the old default behaviour, so
they don't have to explicitly add -Wno-aaa -Wno-bbb -Wno-ccc etc.

Maybe -Wstandard isn't the best name though, as "standard" usually
means something quite specific for compilers, and the warning switch
wouldn't have anything to do with standards conformance.