Re: Switching to C++ by default in 4.8

On Apr 4, 2012, at 3:12 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Tristan Gingold <gingold@adacore.com> writes:
>
>> On Apr 3, 2012, at 7:37 PM, Diego Novillo wrote:
>>

>>> We would like to start the process to make GCC 4.8 build in C++ mode by default.
>>>
>>> The mechanics of the change are simple enough.  I volunteer to test changing the default on all primary targets (assuming I can get them from the GCC build farm).
>>
>> Is it already possible to build stage1 with c++ ?
>
> Yes.  There are two relevant configure options: --enable-build-with-cxx

Ah thanks, I missed this option.

> and --enable-build-poststage1-with-cxx.  Currently the first defaults to
> no and the second defaults to yes.  The change in question would be
> making the first default to yes.
>

>> The VMS targets are not yet ready with build in C++ mode.  This target
>> is somewhat special because it can be built only with a cross-compiler
>> (we don't support regular 3 stages native builds because there is no
>> complete and working well enough UNIX emulation tools).
>>
>> I started to build g++ (and gfortran) for ia64 and alpha VMS in order
>> to prepare this transition, but having a soft path would be better to
>> me.
>
> Sounds like you would need to have a C++ cross-compiler for VMS.  What
> are the issues with making that work?

For ia64, g++ is working on simple examples (and for the testsuite).  But building gcc will be a better test.

For Alpha, gas crashes during libstdc++ build.  From initial investigation, this looks manageable.  But Alpha object format is quite old, and has no support for comdat (but weak symbols should work).  I only have worked on g++ for Alpha for a few days.

Tristan.