Switching to C++ by default in 4.8

We would like to start the process to make GCC 4.8 build in C++ mode by default.

The mechanics of the change are simple enough. I volunteer to test changing the default on all primary targets (assuming I can get them from the GCC build farm).

Concurrently with this, Lawrence and Ian are working on the C++ coding guidelines. The draft is stored at http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CppConventions. They will be sending an update in the next few days. The idea is to hash out the details on the wiki and then produce a patch to http://gcc.gnu.org/codingconventions.html.

While these two changes are independent, it probably makes sense to first have agreement on an initial set of coding conventions before we switch the default.

I expect that coding conventions will evolve quite a bit in the next few months, so we should do the switch after the first patch to codingconventions.html is approved and installed. A reasonable initial version of this should cover the core language features that allow implementing basic conversions (for instance, those that would allow re-implementing vec.h).

I would like to avoid discussions to drag on indefinitely. But, given the magnitude of these changes, I suppose that it may take a few days to hash it out. Therefore, I propose that:

- For the coding conventions, we have the explicit approval of at least 4 global reviewers.
- For the build changes, approval from a build maintainer should be enough.

Thanks. Diego.