Re: GCC 5 & modularity

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 March 2012 15:35, Basile Starynkevitch wrote:
>>>

>> I am not sure what you expect from me. As I said many times, I have not a
>> global understanding of GCC (the "global reviewers" have a much better
>> global understanding than I do). So I cannot propose or initiate a list of
>> modules.
>>
>> Or do you want me to just propose a documentation patch with a canvas or
>> frame for other poeple to fill?
>
> Why not start a wiki page? ?There's no need for patch approval and
> anyone can make edits to improve it gradually over time. ?If the
> initial version is wrong someone can change it, but at least it will
> have been started.

Really it must happen at code level.  The advantage of modules is for
safer coding.

We have got stacks of docs written from the outside looking in.
Modules have to start in the code base.  Once it clear what is in a
module the module shape of the code base can be become stable.

gccint and work out a cut into a clear define module.  Create a
description for what has been cut.  Repeat.

Sooner or latter it will become module design.

The people who can review if a cut is sane are the ones working on the
code base.

This is the problem you can try to write a global list but until it in
the code base the global list will be open to change.

The gccint gives enough over view to start trying to plan a cut.

Really that the thing we need to focus on what will be the first module to make.

Peter Dolding