Re: Potentially merging the transactional-memory branch into mainline.

Hi,

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011, Aldy Hernandez wrote:

> Have you not seen the last 3 years of patches to gcc-patches?  They're
> prefixed by [trans-mem].  Perhaps you're filtering them out.

That's not how things are supposed to be, sorry.  The private branches
don't require reviews, and hence also won't get (as much) review.  Patches
proposed for trunk get review.

> > For instance, there are new files gcc/c-pretty-print.c or
> > ipa-type-escape.c, gcc/c.opt is moved meanwhile to gcc/c-family.  All
> > these files aren't mentioned in the ChangeLog.  At this point I simply
> > stopped looking carefully at the diff myself, because clearly nobody
> > else did.  No wonder it's 800k.  I don't think this is in a reviewable
> > state
>
> That was a minor rsync hiccup this morning that clobbered the previous
> patch that was on the website.  The aforementioned files got picked up
> incorrectly by the svn merge.  Hit reload on your browser,

Yes, it's better now.  Sorry for assuming this was the patch that was
supposed to be applied and jumping to conclusions.  That also would have
been solved by just following processes we have.

> or better yet... download the branch.

Downloading a branch also isn't required for review.  What is required to
get patches into GCC is documented on our web page, and it's the duty of
the proposer to follow that.  Amongst them is sending to gcc-patches@ the
final proposed patch, split in managable pieces.  I think we can allow
some leeway for this splitting (i.e. not be too anal with not mixing
different changes) when the patch is for a branch merge, but the sending
to the mailing list has very good reasons, namely to make it easy for
reviewers to send comments.  Developing a private branch for three years
in the open is no substitute for that.

> > right now. It might simply be a misapplied merge, or a broken diff,
> > but whatever it is, I'd expect at least reviewable patches before
> > considering a merge.
>
> Reviewable patches as in what goes in gcc-patches?  Or do you want
> something else?

Reviewable patches to gcc-patches at the point when you (or anybody else)
propose to apply them to trunk.  Specifically _not_ during development on
the branch, exactly because nobody except the developers of it review much
of that.  You see, reviews are also supposed to catch things that
developers involved with the branch simply don't see anymore, or things
that weren't done "properly" on the branch because one wanted to move
forward with other issues and then forgotten about, or simply the usual
style nits.

Ciao,
Michael.