Re: Potentially merging the transactional-memory branch into mainline.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:59 PM, David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Richard Guenther
> <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Given that you only recently merged with trunk again are you really
>> sure this is a great
>> idea at this point in time? ?Does the GCC 4.7 user community benefit from this
>> in any way (or rather how much percentage of it)?
>
> GCC has a history of merging and exposing technology previews. ?Why
> should the bar be placed higher for this feature? ?The feature is
> isolated and does not appear that it will interfere with other parts
> of GCC.

I remember at least seeing middle-end pieces in alias analysis.

> Aldy, RTH, Torvald and Red Hat appear ready to address any problems promptly.

Sure, I was just asking for a good reason to merge it now, given that I had the
impression the desire to merge for 4.7 is a bit rushed (given that the
branch wasn't
kept up-to-date with trunk until very recently and trunk regressions
were still being
fixed).

I'd like to see some breakdown into subsystem patches.  Can someone provide
those together with changelog entries?

Thanks,
Richard.