Re: adding destroyable objects into Ggc

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 01:16:03 -0500
Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:00 AM, Basile Starynkevitch
> <basile@starynkevitch.net> wrote:
>
> > However, I don't often see the people arguing against Ggc talking about the difficulties
> > for GCC newscomers to dive inside GCC and be able to propose code.
>
> From my experience, the difficulty for newcomer to get into GCC source
> code base has less to do with GC than the compiler overall architecture
> itself.  I believe it would be naively deceptive to make people believe that
> the absence of GC is what makes or would make GCC impenetrable to newcomers.

I half agree about it. Look at Qt & GTK documentation: both starts about how
memory management of their objects should be done. And I have no idea about what the
equivalent would be for hypothetical tree-s, gimple-s, edge-s, gimple_seq-s,
basic_block-s coded in C++ with some kind of _ptr.

I do think that the fact that some other big free software starts by explaining how to
manage their memory is significant.

I also agree with you that GCC architecture is messy, and that scares newscomer a lot.

Cheers.

*** opinions {are only mine, sont seulement les miennes} ***