Re: Comparison of GCC-4.6.1 and LLVM-2.9 on x86/x86-64 targets

Hi Vladimir, thanks for doing this.

The above said about compilation speed is true when GCC front-end is
used for LLVM.

It's not clear to me which GCC front-end you mean. There is llvm-gcc (based on gcc-4.2) and the dragonegg plugin (the 2.9 version works with gcc-4.5; the development version works also with gcc-4.6). Can you please clarify. By the way, some highly unscientific experiments I did suggest that the GCC tree optimizers are (almost) as fast as the LLVM IR optimizers while doing a better job; while at -O3 the LLVM code generators are significantly faster than the GCC code generators and do a comparable and sometimes better job. Unfortunately I haven't had time to do a serious study, so this might just be an accident of the benchmarks I looked at and the options I happened to use rather than anything meaningful.

Ciao, Duncan.