Re: C99 Status - inttypes.h

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/07/11 16:22, Joern Rennecke wrote:
>>>
>>> I have to disagree, library issue means that it's an issue with the
>>> library, not gcc.
>>
>> It still makes sense to clarify the language to indicate that, depending
>> on
>> the library used, this might be, in fact, a library non-issue.
>>

> We might be interpreting this differently. When I you it's a "library
> issue", I understand it as begin something that has to do with the library,
> not that it is a definite problem with the library. Therefore if I want to
> see what's the feature status I should check the library documentation. I
> didn't think that saying it is a library issue would mean that it is
> definitely broken/missing in the library.
>
> Then again my native language is not english. However, by raising this
> you're proving your point. If we can avoid different interpretations then
> better.

While your use of the term "a library issue" meaning roughly "the
responsibility of the library" is entirely correct, unfortunately the
term "issue" has been hijacked of late as a euphemism for "problem",
which leaves us without a good, unambiguous way to refer to issues
that may not, in fact, be problems.

-- James