Re: Notes and summary for the London meetings 17-19 Jun 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:
> I've uploaded a copy of the notes we took during the meetings in
> London last weekend.
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCCGathering2011
>
> I think we may be missing a couple of slide presentations, so if you
> have notes or slides that I didn't get to add, please let me know.

---
Hardened Code Generation (bjanakiraman)
â Generate code that can not be hacked (ideally).
â ChromeOS based on Gentoo.
â -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
â -z now
â -pie
â -z relro
â -fstack-protector-all
â Overhead of hardening: 15% on browser benchmark on Atom.
â Atom is 32-bit code; PIE overhead due to calling function to get PC;
10 cycle stall.
â -fstack-protector-all is majority of slowdown on Atom.
â On i386 (current hardware) and ARMel most slowdown was -pie (but
test was not using -
fstack-protector-all).
---

is interesting.  X32 will solve PIE/PIC problem.

--
H.J.