Re: how to distinguish patched GCCs

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Matthias Kretz
<kretz@compeng.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:
> On Friday 27 May 2011 11:14:38 Richard Guenther wrote:
>> I know developing on the edge of what compilers support can be a PITA,
>> but it's more maintainable to have checks and workarounds in terms
>> of actual bugs than compiler versions.
>
> Full ack.
>
>> It should be relatively easy for
>> you to provide a my-library-config.sh that provides the defines for
>> an installed copy and the current compiler - much similar to what
>> was done in pre-pkg-config times. ?So, teach your users to put
>>
>> CXXFLAGS=$(CXXFLAGS) `my-library-config.sh $CXX`
>>
>> in their Makefile and they will get your library configured at build time
>> of the client app.
>
> True. Right now I'm forced to do this. But I know my users... have you seen
> the typical physicist developing HPC software? ;)

Like me in the good old days when compilers even didn't grok
template default parameters? ;)

> If at all possible, I want to have it fool-proof.

I see that, but I don't see how you arrive there with the proposed solution.

> But, if I can't get any further support than that RedHat already had the need
> for this macro themselves --- I guess I should end this thread here. Don't
> want to waste our time any further...

At SUSE we didn't yet see a need for this kind of macro.  Not sure
what RedHat uses it for.

Richard.