How to tell reload to properly store a register?

My target needs a scratch register to store a register in one register class
and it needs to use memory to copy from one register class to another.
I have store and reload_out patterns for those registers.  When reload
tries to copy data from one register class to another, it just stores the
register without using the proper reload_out pattern which has a scratch
register.

How can I tell reload to always use a scratch register when storing a
register?

Thanks.

--
H.J.