Re: To Steering Committee: RFC for patch revert policy (PR48403, bootstrap broken on many targets)

On 04/05/2011 04:49 PM, Jeff Law wrote:
> On 04/04/11 20:57, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> Patch was checked in at Fri Apr  1 17:46:17 2011.  I reported the failure
>> at 2011-04-01 18:49:28 and identified the range of causes.  It is too bad
>> to take 3 days to fix it.
> Note the checking was Friday evening, it's entirely possible that the
> offender has a life and didn't work over the weekend.

The offender worked a number of hours Saturday to reproduce the problem
and investigate its cause. When it became apparent in the very late
evening that the fix would be more than a one-liner and would involve
testing some nonstandard options on ppc, I posted a status update with
an ETA. IMO that (or earlier) would have been a good moment for anyone
who was unable to do development work on Sunday due to the breakage to
ask for a revert, rather than overreact later _after_ the problem was fixed.
My (incorrect) perspective at that point was still that I had successful
bootstraps on two machines with three different installations of Linux,
vs a failure on only one, and no one had asked for the patch to be
reverted, so the problem was likely to be not too bad. The fact that
other architectures than x86 were affected had also not been reported at
the time.

Bernd