Re: Give me advice on GSoC OpenMP

Hi. Sorry for being late.

> Depends on what you mean by lazy task creation, gcc schedules
> tasks lazily if they aren't if (0), some data structure if created
> for them when encountering #pragma omp task directive, but I guess
> any implementation will do something like that.

I mean the following implementation by Lazy Task Generation:

- 1 CPU core has 1 worker
- 1 worker has 1 deque (LIFO)
- 1 deque has some tasks
- What worker does are:
  - Execute tasks from the head of deque
  - Steel a task from the tail of deque in another core
  - When task A encounters "#pragma omp task" derective, worker creates a task
    and immediately execute it. Worker pushes A to the head of deque.
    (Here occurs context switch)
    This is important point because A can move to other deques. (*)
  - Steel a task from a deque in another core when the deque on the core is empty

My associate sinior has already made a library which realizes this scheduling
algorithm above.
(It is called `MassiveThreads' but the paper related to its work is written
in Japanese.)
MassiveThreads has proved this algorithm makes things like OpenMP Task speedy.

Taking this implementation,
- Nested `task' derectives can be processed naturally
- Given that task A is a member of deque D and task A1 is created in D
  when task A encounters `task' derective. (See (*))
  A1 runs soon after it is created. So although A will execute some functions
  which takes too long to finish, this work can be done after A is stolen into
  another deque than D

Anyway, I'd like to read some materials refered to when current libgomp `task'
is implemented (to read the code smoothly).

Do you know any of that?

--
Sho Nakatani