Re: On the toplevel configure and build system

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 03/30/2011 05:54 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > Thanks.  My inclination is to say that this should be considered an
> > independent tool in its own repository, as something not required in the
> > build of any of the other tools.  More specifically, utils/mep and
> > utils/wince look like independent tools each of which would better go in
> > its own toplevel directory (mep-integrator, cesetup) (and would each go in
> > an independent repository based on the shared toplevel, since they use
> > libiberty), while utils/spu appears to have no toplevel dependencies and
> > so should be completely independent, possibly without toplevel support for
> > building it.  Since utils/spu and utils/wince have no non-build-system
> > changes since 2000, I'd be inclined to say we should declare those two
> > subdirectories dead and run "cvs rm" on them - people wanting to resurrect
> > them can always extract the data from CVS later.  (And I still think
> > utils/mep should move to its own toplevel directory.)
>
> No, these tools _are_ built after all.

My claim is that while they *are* built, the lack of substantive changes
in the past decade is evidence that utils/spu and utils/wince are probably
no longer being used.

Stan, you appear to be the only person with non-build-system changes in
the utils/spu ChangeLog (from the years 1994 and 2000).  Do you have any
reason to believe it is still being used, or is it OK to run "cvs rm" on
that directory's contents in the src repository?

DJ, the same questions apply for utils/wince; you appear to have the only
non-build-system changes, in 1999 and 2000.

In the modules file the only place utils appears is in old-gdb (that is,
it used to be considered part of the GDB sources but no longer is).

> However, moving them to a new toplevel directory and getting rid of utils
> would be a good thing.

Moving utils/mep to its own toplevel directory, that is, if the other two
aren't being used.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com