Re: debug & trace printing from GCC plugins (& MELT extensions)

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 21:07:39 +0000
Dave Korn <dave.korn.cygwin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/03/2011 15:39, Basile Starynkevitch wrote:
>
> > So please accept (at least temporily) the usefulness of debug & trace
> > printing.
> >
> > My question then is how to implement it nicely?
>
> > And I don't know if debug printing should go to stdout or to stderr.
>
>   MELT is for writing new passes, right?  So it could use the existing
> per-pass dump files mechanism I would expect.

Yes, but some processing happens outside passes (like complex
initializations at least). And I believe this is also true for some
other plugins. The question becoms where and how should the debug
printing happens in that case.

I'm sure the question is not MELT specific. Imagine a plugin (coded in
C) which uses some database, or some web services, or provide a web or
a graphical interface. Then its initialization code also need debug
printing.

Regards.

*** opinions {are only mine, sont seulement les miennes} ***