Re: -flto / -flto-partition=none question on ia64-hp-hpux11.23

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Steve Ellcey <sje@cup.hp.com> wrote:

> I am looking at an lto bug on ia64-hp-hpux11.23. ?If I compile
> g++.dg/torture/pr33572.C with -flto on this platform I get:
>
> ld: Unsatisfied symbol "__gcc_personality_v0" in file /var/tmp//ccYlpGzO.ltrans0.ltrans.o
> 1 errors.
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> (This is using the HP linker which I do for all my GCC builds.)

so you do not have the linker-plugin?

> If I add -flto-partition=none to the link, then everything works fine.
> I notice that the =none option fo -flto-partition does not seem to be
> documented in invoke.texi, which only covers 1to1 and balanced so I am
> not sure what it means (put everything in one object?).

none is the old non-WHOPR LTO mode without a WPA stage and
everything combined into a single unit.

> In both cases if I look at the output of the linker I see an undef of
> __gcc_personality_v0 in the object file created by compiling pr33572.C
> and a definition that should resolve that use in libstdc++.so.
> libstdc++.so is searched in both cases and __gcc_personality_v0 is found
> in both cases so I don't understand why I am getting the error in the
> standard -flto case.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on what I should look at to understand this
> problem?

I think this hints at an issue with the collect2 LTO path.  It would
be interesting
to see where references to the missing symbols appear / vanish - just look
at all intermediate files generated.

Richard.