Graduate research - how GCC compiles PTHREAD Mutex routines into x86/Linux Kernel 2.6 assembler

Hi,

My name is Edmon Begoli and I am a graduate student in computer science.

I am writing a graduate research paper on how are concurrent routines complied
in different languages. I want to start with a sort of a base case showing how
are Mutexes and thread initiation routines in C compiled by GCC into assembler.

I tried to look into a assembly and I did search for several days
forums and forums and manuals
but I could not find some simple example or a piece of a source code
that shows how may
piece of code like this:

http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/C/node31.html#SECTION003117100000000000000

be compiled into for example some basic version of Intel x86 assembler
on Linux 2.6 kernel.
Just a basic idea.

I am hoping that you could point me to a code, example or a tutorial
that shows how
is this done in GCC. I am looking for the most basic and
straightforward examples
and tutorial.

Thank you in advance,
Edmon Begoli