Re: ANN: Two new branches google/integration and google/main

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:
> At Google we have a number of features developed internally that, for
> various reasons, have not yet been ported upstream.
>
> We are currently looking for ways to (a) contribute these to mainline,
> and (b) avoid accumulating more local patches by trying to stay closer
> to upstream trunk for future contributions.
>
> To help stage these patches, I have created the SVN directory
> svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches/google with two branches inside:
>
> google/integration
> ? A branch following trunk that contains some minimal patches that
> are likely not useful anywhere outside of Google's build environment.
> These are typically configuration patches.
>
> google/main
> ? A branch of google/integration that contains Google local patches
> that we are looking to contribute to trunk. ?Some of these patches are
> either in the process of being reviewed, or have not yet been
> proposed. ?The intent of this branch is to serve as a staging platform
> to allow collaboration with external developers. ?Patches in this
> branch are only expected to remain here until they are reviewed and
> accepted in trunk.
>
> Additionally, we expect to start creating google/gcc-X_Y to track
> upstream releases. ?These branches are going to track upstream
> releases plus patches from google/main. ?They will be used as a basis
> for the toolchains we build internally.

Hi Diego,

It is very nice to hear that.  I just have one comment.  SVN is very
poor at merging while merge is very easy with GIT.  However, our
git mirror doesn't mirror branches/XXX/YYY. It will be nice to
mirror Google branches as well as ix86 branches in git.

--
H.J.