Re: C/C++ extensions for array notations

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, Sebastian Pop wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask the opinion of C/C++ maintainers about the extension
> that the Intel compiler proposes for array notations:
> http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/studio/composer/en-us/2011/compiler_c/index.htm#optaps/common/optaps_par_cean_prog.htm
>
> Are there strong opinions against this extension?

I don't see any specification there at the language standard level of how
this interacts with the type system, with sizeof (and C1X alignof and GNU
typeof), with array-to-pointer decay, what the type compatibility rules
are, what is a constraint violation and what is runtime undefined
(regarding integer constant expression or non-i-c-e values being out of
range or disagreeing within an expression, for example).  Likewise
regarding type conversions (implicit and otherwise).  And regarding
sequence point rules (use the terminology in C1X and C++0X in providing
such a specification, please).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com