Mailing lists for back-end development?

I spoke with a partner today who suggested that perhaps it would be a
bit easier to follow the voluminous GCC mailing list if we had separate
lists for patches related to particular back-ends (e.g., ARM, MIPS,
Power, SuperH, x86, etc.).

The idea here is that (as with libstdc++), we'd send patches to
gcc-patches@ and gcc-$arch@, but that reviewers for a particular
back-end would find it easier to keep track of things on the
architecture-specific lists, and also that this would make it easier
when trying to track down patches to backport to distribution versions
of the compiler.

What do people think about this idea?

Thank you,

--