Re: Discussion about merging Go frontend

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 06:49:51AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.med.uc.edu> writes:
>
> >    Doesn't the go compiler require functional split stack support? Mike Stump
> > left me with the impression that split stack support would require additional
> > linker support on darwin.
>
> The Go compiler can work without split stack support.  The effect is
> that you are limited in the number of goroutines you can create,
> particularly on a 32-bit system.  And you are also limited in the depth
> of recursion and size of local variables you can create.  But you can
> write working Go programs.

Ian,
   Is split stack support unique to the go compiler or might it eventually
be leveraged in the other compilers as well? We could submit a radar for
the addition of split stack support for the linker in Xcode 4.0 or later
but it would helpful if the eventual usage was greater than just the go
compiler.
             Jack