Re: Simple development GCC and G++

On 09/27/10 16:48, Paul Brook wrote:

Most of the interesting bits happen in the linker+debugger. "gcc -ffunction- sections -fdata-sections -fPIC" is likely to be pretty good in terms of compiler output.

What you then need is a linker that will relink an image, changing it as
little as possible relative to a previous run.  Your debugger then needs to be
able to replace these images in-place (which may require interaction with the
dynamic linker).

Be warned that this ends up being extremely complex, even for relatively simple changes.

I think that you are aiming at the wrong target. Look at the goal:
- To be able to debug then edit, recompile and continue debugging.

There seems to be no requirement for "preserve the ABI" nor
"compile to native code".

What I am getting at is that it is possible to use a different ABI
that is more robust with respect to local variable addition/removal.

Michael