Re: Merging Apple's Objective-C 2.0 compiler changes

Manuel LÃpez-IbÃÃez <lopezibanez@gmail.com> writes:

> From a user-perspective, there are benefits on both clang->gcc and
> gcc->llvm. However, from what I know about the GCC project, I don't
> see yet how GCC developers can consider either more beneficial than
> the other.

It seems to me that at the present moment LLVM's frontends are better
than GCC's, and GCC's backends are better than LLVM's.  By this I mean
specifically that LLVM's frontends generate better diagnostics, whereas
GCC's backends generate code that has better runtime performance.  (LLVM
also appears to run faster, which is a good feature but not in my mind a
determining one.)  Therefore, I see a clear benefit to clang->gcc, but I
do not see a clear benefit to gcc->llvm.  This comment is of course
entirely independent of the licensing issues.

Ian