RE: RFH: optabs code in the java front end

I'm not up on the details here.  But I want to point out that C++0x and C1x require atomic operations on all platforms, with the expectation that they will be emulated (most likely with an address-indexed table of locks) on platforms that don't provide them.  If I understand this correctly, it sounds to me like some generalization of the Java mechanism will also be needed for C++ (and eventually C).

Hans