How to use __versa_string as std::string implementation?

Do I understand correctly that the current GCC implementation of std::string is non-conforming, because it does ref-counting + copy-on-write?

If so, is there some compiler flag to switch to a conforming (non-ref-counting) std::string implementation?

If I understand well, the Versatile String, __versa_string from <ext/vstring.h> provides such an implementation, right? Is there an easy way to recompile existing user code that uses std::string, in order to switch to a non-ref-counting implementation?

Apologies for my ignorance,

Kind regards,

  Niels
--