Re: Patch pinging

NightStrike <nightstrike@gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe there's a way to look at how other projects handle the same
> issue, and find a different solution that's more workable for more
> people.  I don't know what event you are specifically referring to in
> the GCC history that created this situation, but I don't think it's
> unreasonable to think that there'd be an alternate method of achieving
> the same results.

I am doing what I can.  However, looking at other projects doesn't help
very much because most other projects simply don't worry about these
issues.  That is, for example, why the Linux kernel was vulnerable to
the SCO lawsuit (I have heard that they have since adjusted their
practices to some extent).  The event in the FSF's past was the use of
code from Gosling's original Unix version of emacs.  The FSF believed
that it had received verbal rights to use the code, but when Gosling
sold his program to Unipress he denied ever granting that right, and
Unipress asked the FSF to stop using their code.

Ian