Re: [RFC] Switching implementation language to C++

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
>
>> Yes, this is the sort of issues I have in mind. ?For example, I do not see how
>> we can use C++ in tree.h without requiring other front-ends to use C++, at least
>> for the parts that use tree.h. ?By components, I meant "for example, is it the
>> case that the C++ front-end would use C++, but with sufficient care
>> that it can be
>> linked with ?the common C codes if the C front-end is not using C++?".
>
> Yes, I think it's possible for a front-end or a back-end to use C++
> without the rest of the compiler doing so. ?I doubt that's where we get
> maximum bang from allowing use of C++, but it could certainly be done.

OK, I will reformulate my question to you and Diego is: is this what we want,
e.g. C++ as THE common implementation language, or just ONE common
implementation language (the other being C)?
I asking for the purpose of formulating tentative guidelines.

-- Gaby