Re: Help needed: banishing RTL from the front ends

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Joseph S. Myers
<joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2010, Steven Bosscher wrote:
>
>> I am guessing this comes in from the $C_TARGET_OBJS and other language
>> target objects. In the Makefile in the build directory I have this
>> dependency:
>>
>> ?Target specific, C specific object file
>> C_TARGET_OBJS=i386-c.o
>>
>> But unfortunately I cannot find the rule for this object.
>
> It's in config/i386/t-i386.

Right. I found that out in the mean time with good-old grep.  There
are many targets with C_TARGET_OBJS and CXX_TARGET_OBJS, and one
target with FORTRAN_TARGET_OBJS (which should be turned into targetcm
hooks, I think).

>?And such files shouldn't really be using RTL
> themselves. ?They are for pragmas, assertions, aspects of built-in
> functions that need handing at front-end time, controlling extensions for
> the C language, ... - all things that should be completed before the
> conversion to RTL. ?(It's possible that some of them may store information
> for use by later stages of the compiler, but the code processing that
> information should be language-independent.)

Yes, and it looks like for the most part the dependencies on back-end
code are false (just like for the front ends) but some appear to be
real.  I will first do this for the primary targets and then look at
the rest.  I could use some help with that...

Just means the banishing of RTL from the front ends will have to wait
a little bit longer.

Ciao!
Steven