Re: RM Q&A Session on May 27th

On Tue, 18 May 2010, Mark Mitchell wrote:

>   http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Release%20Manager%20Q%26A

I note that many of the questions already added to that page could be seen
as suggesting a greater role for the RMs than there is at present in
setting directions for GCC development.  RMs (in their RM capacity) do not
set priorities or make plans for GCC development; although we can
determine dates for development stages and branches based on what features
we want to get in them, we can't cause development to be concentrated in
particular priority areas.  People can reasonably ask our views on what
the directions should be, but perhaps the questions asked suggest a
further question of whether RMs should have a greater role in setting
directions and how such a role could be effective in practice.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com