Re: lto and compile flag associations

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 09:34, Richard Guenther
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, something would be nice, but not magically choosing something,
> only complaining if the result won't work as expected.

Agreed.  I don't think there are silver bullets here.  I would like to
get to a point where:

1- The IL saved by the front end is independent from all (or most)
compiler flags.
2- The final link is the one that determines what flags are used to
generate final code

This way, one could generate completely independent byte-code files
that can be shipped and re-compiled with any flags.  This doesn't
address the problem of what happens if a single file needs special
code generation flags.  For those cases, one could generate final code
from the byte-code file separately and link it to the final
executable:

$ gcc -c <special-flags> special-file.o
$ gcc -flto special-file.o <other-files> -o prog

This would probably not cover all the use cases, but right now we
don't even have (1).

Diego.