Re: Why not contribute? (to GCC)

Mark Mielke <mark@mark.mielke.cc> writes:

> What are clean room implementations for if not for avoiding copyright
> violation?

Avoiding contract violations such as promises to keep source code
secret.  A strict clean room implementation also makes it clear that
no copyright violation could have occurred.

> At my company, we took things seriously to the point of
> dividing the GPL designers from the non-GPL designers to prevent code
> fragments from being leaked to one side or the other, even if just a
> faint memory that ends up resulting in code that looks just about
> exactly like the original, even if the author cannot identify what the
> original was.

I think that was entirely unnecessary on your part, though of course
lawyers, like anybody else, will tend to ask for whatever they can
get.

I won't respond further on this subthread on the list, it has nothing
to do with gcc.

Ian