Re: Why not contribute? (to GCC)

On 04/25/2010 05:49 PM, Richard Kenner wrote:
So how much liability is required for somebody to accept in order to be
allowed to contribute to GCC?
This was answered already. It's the same for EVERY software project
(not unique to GCC): if I steal somebody's copyrighted material and
"contribute" it to a software project, I am liable for the FULL EXTENT
of damages that my action caused. This is true whether I sign an
"assignment" document or not.

Yep - but that's my point. "Full extent" without any number listed is effectively unlimited liability.

I saw people trying to suggest unlimited = infinity and that it will not be infinity, therefore it is not unlimited - but this just sounds like a wording game. One poster tried to argue that it was limited by describing that it was only 3 times some unspecified amount. But they missed that unspecified is unlimited. 3 times unspecified = 3 times unlimited = unlimited.

The fact is, it is unlimited liability because no limit has been set.

Whether this is unique to copyright assignment vs the more common shared ownership model? It's a good point that in either case, the liability may exist. This is where it becomes a bit complicated to me. As a "for example", I could see somebody suing the FSF because it is a funded organization that can be easily listed as "the defendant", whereas an open source project with hundreds of committers each with individual assignments for the parts they contributed, would be very difficult to list as "the defendant", so they would have to target the people involved with the specific patch - or "me". I couldn't see somebody suing me (my bank account hovers pretty low most of the time). Companies are not going to sue nobodies such as myself because there is no money in it. So, in practice, is there a difference or not? I think there is. With the assignment comes responsibility - except the FSF is explicitly requiring unlimited liability indemnity from the author, so they are accepting responsibility for the value, but not accepting responsibility for the risk. I can see why the FSF would want this - but I cannot see why I would want this. What's in it for me?

Honestly, this discussion has resurrected my concerns about the FSF in general. And since I don't really want to argue about this here, I think I'll cut it off by just repeating that there are a lot of GPL / BSD / etc. projects out there that don't seem to have the problems that are being predicted. The only one I see of any value is the ability to change the license in the future, without my explicit consent. Honestly, I'm a bit concerned about having my code be distributed under a different license without my explicit consent, especially as my definition of free does not match the definition of free provided by the FSF.

Cheers,
mark