Re: Why not contribute? (to GCC)

On 24 April 2010 22:37, Richard Guenther <richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

>> We had a patch tracking system, and it was completely ignored by most
>> maintainers.
>
> Indeed - we do not need another piece of infrastructure. ?Note that good
> patch review takes a lot of time and we (unfortunately again) do not have
> many active patch reviewers. ?So it happens that patches from people
> with excellent track history get approved quickly but others are just
> left behind. ?Pinging the patches does usually help here, as well as
> working with maintainers during the patch creation so that the final
> review is easy.

But this is not a piece of infrastructure for reviewers but for *submitters*.

Anyway, the patch tracker is not the main point. The point is how we
alleviate this problem? You see that a few already mentioned that this
was a reason to NOT contribute to GCC. People that probably have
solved the legal issues, were knowledgeable enough to modify, build
and test GCC, and then submit a patch. And they left because of this.
That is sad.

Cheers,

Manuel.