Re: Why not contribute? (to GCC)

On 24 April 2010 15:26, Richard Kenner <kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu> wrote:
>> ? ?The big reason the copyright assignment. ?I never even bothered to
>> ? ?read it, but as I don't get anything in return there's no point.
>> ? ?Why should put obligaitons on myself, open myself up to even
>> ? ?unlikely liabilities, just so my patches can merged into the
>> ? ?official source distribution?
>>
>> You are still open to liabilities for your own project, if you
>> incorporate code that you do not have copyright over, the original
>> copyright holder can still sue you.
>
> That's a critical point, which almost everybody misses, so I want to
> repeat it and expand on it.

I certainly was missing this point!
Please, could you write this down in the wiki somewhere? For example, here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ

This is so good explanation and so obvious once you have explained it
that we should be pointing people to this answer (and the one above
about the U. of Illinois) everytime  the copyright assignment comes
up.

Many thanks!

Manuel.