Re: GCC 4.5.0 Released

On 19 April 2010 18:34, Basile Starynkevitch wrote:

> Note [*]: are we sure that other announced features, like Link Time
> Optimization, are *easily* usable by *ordinary* GCC users? I don't know, and
> I am not sure... Perhaps most ordinary users only know about -O1 or -O3...

Well, yes, because they can enable it by passing an extra command-line
flag. To use plugins they need to write a plugin.  That is more useful
in the long-term, once useful plugins are available.

You spend a lot of time on this mailing list saying "maybe this will
happen" or "perhaps most users only know" ... stop speculating.

Besides which, the full "changes" page explains that plugins are now
supported, so users who want to dig further than the release
announcement will find out about it.  Do we really need to have a long
discussion on this mailing list about what should have been in the
announcement?  Can I complain that my contributions weren't announced?
 I feel they were significant, and noone consulted me on the release
announcement.

Let's move on.